Born in August 13th 1925 near the town of Biran eastern portion of Cuba. The internet was hit with the news on November 25th, that the legend as many would call him had passed at Santiago de Cuba. So here are some facts on what we know about Mr Castro.
- Born August 13th 1925 near the town of Biran eastern part of Cuba.
- His father Angel Castro y Argiz, was a wealthy sugar plantation owner that had been born into a poor peasant family in Spain.
- His mother Lina Ruz Gonzalez was a maid in the elder Castro’s house hold.
- Studied Law at the University of Havana in the mid-1940’s.
- Received his doctorate in Law in 1950.
- Began pursuing politics as a member of the Cuban people’s party, officially known as the Orthodoxo party.
- Lead an attack along side with his brother Raul on July 26, 1953 on the moncada military barracks in Santiago.
- Castro was later captured alongside his brother Raul and sentenced to 15 years in prison.
- Castro and Raul were later released in 1955 under an amnesty deal after Batista was officially elected president.
- Lead the Cuban revolution to victory against the military dictator Fulgencio Batista in 1959.
- Governed the republic of Cuba for 47 years as prime minister.
- Castro stepped down as president of Cuba in 2008 at age 81, handing over to his brother Raul who was 76 at the time.
- Died November 25th 2016.
Revolutionarist Fidel Castro had also lived by some wise words:
I think that a man should not live beyond the age when he begins to deteriorate, when the flame that lightened the brightest movement of his life has weakened.
Men do not shape destiny, Destiny produces the man for the hour.
I respect all religions, although I do not share them. Human beings seek explanation for their existence, from the most ignorant to the wisest.